Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday Randomness

To get back into the routine of blogging, today is a post full of randomness.


Yesterday MC woke up with a cold so today she is home and we are having a party of three all day.  Hopefully school will be back in the weekly schedule tomorrow. Boo to bugs!


I am in the midst of planning this little girl's birthday as well.  Five years old already...really?


And that also means that we soon will have someone celebrating his half birthday as well.  Wow..time flies.


We are still having the mildest of winters here in Chicago, so the kids and I haven't experienced our usual cabin fever.  I don't think we have gone a week without a park playdate which is unheard of during the months of January and February. Although it is just great, I can't help but think of why our weather has been so war and that makes me sad.  Global warming is very much a reality.




Kind of on that same note and so much more, Scott and I have decided to not only decrease our carbon footprint on this world, but to also take the biggest step that we can conceive to maintaining our healthy lifestyle.  After watching the documentary Forks over Knives, we have decided to not only become vegetarians, but also vegan, and have been eating a plant based diet for the last couple of weeks.  We aren't eating any animal byproducts- no dairy, no eggs, and of course, no meat.  And you know what?  We are feeling amazing and enjoying so many of the surprising side effects along the way.


Cravings...nope, all gone.
Energy...an abundance of it!
Endurance...we are both back to working out for up to 90-120 minutes at a time.
Food....has never tasted better, cleaner or fresher.


And experimenting with recipes has been so tasty and fun!


I have always leaned toward a vegetarian diet myself, but I still consumed turkey, chicken and occasionally fish.  I could always imagine myself going vegetarian, and often said if it was easier to do, I would do it in a heart beat.  To go vegan?...never in my wildest dreams.  I loved dairy; everything from yogurt to cheese to ice cream always had my name written all over it. However, I never really realized all that went into producing these foods, that it really could be harmful to my body, or just how badly the animals are treated in order for us as humans to have an excess available to us.  After watching the documentary together, Scott and I silently and independently came to the same conclusion and our heads were already wrapping around the concept.  Wow. Powerful. Convincing.  We have since surrounded us with mountains of books, seeking all the knowledge we can find and arming us with all that is to know about being vegan.  And the excitement continues to grow. I know this isn't for everyone, but I think everyone could be enlightened by watching this movie.  I am amazed at how many people we have met that can relate to our same story.


 Anyways, off to go back to my sick baby(its)...one who is, and one who just wants to be like his sister.


Be back soon. K

1 comment:

Mom said...

Love it, love the randomness, and go vegan!