Thursday, June 16, 2011

Run. Bike. Run.

After 3 months of to-the-books training, Scott and I hit the hills of Galena for a Duathlon of 
2 mile RUN, 17 mile BIKE followed by a 4.3 mile RUN.  

Easy, right?  

I can do this..no problem..right?

but the HILLS..those HILLS!  

Oh my!

 It was hard to even imagine what they would be like, until we were actually there.
I did my best to assimilate them in training, but really, there isn't many large hills by us.
Yes, I have been to Galena before and I have also seen this race as a spectator many a times,
 but until I was on those hills myself, I couldn't appreciate the altitude and the strength 
needed to propel myself the next mile.
.... but somehow, somewhere, I found the power.

And this guy had a lot to do with it!  It was great fun to race "with" him.  














And despite the continual rain showers that had me hoping I wouldn't loose control of my bike and left my running shoes and socks (and me!) soaked..I finished the race and couldn't have been prouder.  It was one of the hardest things I have done but the sense of accomplishment and personal strength achieved while doing so is something that so very empowering and powerful.

So much so, that I think I'll do another Duathlon in a couple of weeks (which of course I did!).  :D

1 comment:

Mom said...

Great pics of a great memorable day. You and Scott nailed in, in spite of Mother Nature's attempt to stop you. Congratulations again!! xoxo