Thursday, August 23, 2012

a letter to my girl





Dear Makenna Claire,

Today is the second day of Kindergarten and this morning is the first time both you and your brother are at school.  And it kind of feels a bit too quiet...ok, a lot too quiet.  I miss your energy, your voice, your spontaneous irish step dances.  The dogs lay quietly at my feet and I think they miss you too.   I sit here writing at the computer, with my coffee close by and wondering what you are doing right now, and wondering where the years have gone.

I can say in full confidence though that you are doing well, enjoying your day and loving the structure and socialization of school.  You were so excited to start the school year and on Tuesday when we met your teacher and stepped inside your classroom for the first time, you were immediately entranced and enthralled with kindergarten, hoping and wishing that the next day would arrive immediately.  "Momma, I want it to be tomorrow already.  I want to go to school." And that makes me so proud and happy Makenna Claire.  You have wings and you are going to soar.


 I feel like we hit the jackpot with your opportunities this year.  This is the first year Pioneer Elementary School is offering full day kindergarten which is something I really wanted for you because you will thrive in a 9am-3pm environment.  Also, your teacher, Mrs. Blong, seems amazing and you already love her so.  I think she has gotten a taste of your bubbly, outgoing personality too.  Walking up to her confidently, giving her your hand drawn and colored picture within minutes of meeting her and asking questions without any hesitation might have given her a bit of a clue.

The night before kindergarten we had a celebratory dinner with a menu of your choosing.  Vegetable Stir Fry with a side of corn and watermelon for dessert.  Nana joined us and the dinner conversation revolved around school excitement.  After a shower and you picking out your next day's outfit, Nana tucked you into bed. "I can't sleep, I want to go to school!" After some reassurance that morning will be here soon, you nodded off into sweet dreams.

Waking up at 7am gave you plenty of time to get ready for your first day of kindergarten.  You were dressed in minutes and per your request, I braided your hair..."two braids please with princess bows on the end."  I made everyone blueberry pancakes with a side of fruit and packed your lunch. We took some first day pictures and soon it was time to leave the house.

We all walked you to school for your first day.  Wearing a backpack full of school supplies and  carrying your lunch bag, you took in every step excitedly and confidently. After our ten minute walk, we arrived to a sea of kindergartners in the gymnasium of the school.  You immediately found your teacher and sat down with your classmates.  We stood in back waiting for the cue to leave and when you marched away under your teacher's direction, you never looked back.  That's our girl.  We slipped out of the gym and as I held your daddy's hand, we each wiped away our tears.  Tears of happiness, tears of joy, tears of pride, tears that are present because at that moment we were all transitioning to a different time in our lives.  Our baby girl, at exactly five in a half years old, has now entered the formal education years.   


A little before three o'clock, Rylan and I headed out the door to walk to come greet you.  I was so excited to come see you and hear all the stories of your first day.  After what seemed like a long wait (it wasn't), Rylan immediately gave you a big hug and said "hi sister!" and I was next in line. You recounted pieces of your day like seeing your friend Mackie at lunch (she's in another class) and loving recess time, although you were disappointed that kindergartners can't play on the monkey bars.  You also told me that your gym teacher was so nice and that you led the class in an exercise activity (ha ha..no surprise there). "I loved it momma, can I go back to school tomorrow?"  That's our girl.  

When we got home, you pulled out your lunch and most of it was still intact.  "I was too busy talking to Mackie to eat."  Daddy face timed you to hear all about your first day as well. " I had so much fun Daddy!"  You showed us all the papers you brought home from school and told us that you didn't have homework today but "I bet we'll have homework tomorrow!"

And that Makenna Claire is the start of an amazing year to come.  I am so proud of you and I know that you are going to grow, thrive and learn so much.  I will adjust to having you at school five days a week, after all you think it's pretty cool to only be off school when daddy is off work too.  Your wings have only begun to take off and my heart soars with love and pride every time they are spread. 

I love you, 
Love,
your very proud, happy momma

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sweet Pea rocked kindergarten! She has awesome parents who gave her wings and she will fly higher than imaginable! I am so proud of all of you!!! Xoxoxo