Monday, July 13, 2009

Joys of Parenting: Part XVII

There are just some moments that cannot be explained, duplicated, mimeographed, copied...you get the idea.

I've pretty much become the de facto "put Makenna to bed at night" parent; that suits me just fine because Kelly is with her all day and our time is limited to a little in the morning before I head off to work and a couple of hours at night when I get home. It's really part of the reason I've been getting late to work; I just can't stand to leave the house without saying good morning to her and having a few minutes after she wakes up.

Like every kid, they've got a routine. Hers is that we put her pajamas on and get into mommy and daddy's bed and watch an episode of The Berenstain Bears. After that, it's off to her big girl bed for usually two books, two songs (that inevitably turns into three or four or more) and then night-night time. Sometimes she doesn't get up, sometimes she's up once or twice. It was a twice night tonight.

But tonight I was laying in bed reading her book and when we finished I put the book on the nightstand and put my pillow back against the wall and laid down on her pillow and she put her arms around me and gave me a kiss and looked at me, smiled and said:

"Best friend."

Goddamn right, kid. From now until the end of time. It was a Mastercard moment: priceless.

2 comments:

Nana said...

And that is just how little girls wrap their daddies around their little fingers. :-)
Seriously, I'm sure Sweet Pea will indeed feel that way all her life...her Daddy is a best friend and hero.....doesn't get much better than that!! xoxo

Melissa said...

I love this story.. Doesn't that just make you all warm & fuzzy inside :)))))))))))